Purusing the Web after reading Arthur Crumly's post on the Liturgical Movement and reform I found the following interesting site of The Liturgical Institute detailing history of the American movement and biographical information about some of its members.
The photograph above comes from the pages noting the contribution of Reynold Hillenbrand at the church of the Sacred Heart, Hubbard's Woods, Illinois. The caption explaining the photograph reads:
'Hillenbrand is shown at left [the photograph is to the left of the caption on the website] in Sacred Heart Church after the 1957 parish renovation. As a pioneer of liturgical reform, Hillenbrand sought permission to say Mass “facing the people” in the late 1950s, shown here in the short interim period when tabernacles were still placed on altars.'
Hillenbrand's church had been renovated/re-ordered/ changed in line with 1950s thinking on matters liturgical. Below is a 'before' photograph followed by an 'after' one with text from the website between them.
'The 1957 renovation of Sacred Heart Church was Hillenbrand’s most signiﬁcant intervention in the parish’s physical plant. Hillenbrand knew well the artistic leaders of the Liturgical Movement, and was himself a member of the Board of Directors of Liturgical Arts magazine. Hillenbrand was greatly inﬂuenced by the architectural standards of the day, which saw the altar, freestanding tabernacle, cruciﬁx and rear wall hanging to constitute the “liturgical altar.” His renovation, which did not occur without signiﬁcant resistance on the part of some parishioners, reveals the somewhat radical inﬂuence of the dominant architectural establishment, which considered historical styles “fakery” and preferred singularity of image to multiplicity. The Gothic high altar was given to St. Mary’s Church in Fremont Center, Illinois (where it remains today) and side altars were removed so as to have only one altar in the church. The cruciﬁx and sculptures of the Blessed Virgin and Saint Joseph were completed by Ivan Mestrovic. Hillenbrand’s signature intervention was the “Vine and Branches” sculpture by Joseph O’Connell on the rear wall of the sanctuary, a reminder to the people of their status as Mystical Body of Christ. The baptistery was moved to the front of the church to reinforce the connection between baptism and Eucharist. While Hillenbrand’s renovation was certainly foreign to the architectural lines of the existing church, it nonetheless preserved the use of high quality marble for the altar and sanctuary and the highest level of craft, reiterating the importance of the sacred building and sacral action.'
Yet another example of what was happening during the 1950s yet why is it on so many 'Traddy' blogs we read over and over again about the unchanging 'TLM', the 'wicked Council' and 'no reform before Paul VI'?